Friday, June 26, 2009

On the road again...

It was time to get back on the road this morning. We said goodbye to the Barthols and all their generosity and started bicycling around 7:45, a good start. It was only a few miles before we were on a bridge crossing the Mississippi River. On the other side, Missouri. Another state down. Several thousand to go. People enjoy their fireworks in Missouri. That seems to be the main economic activity directly across the border from Chester. We were tempted, but continued on.

We took a conventional food break at a church and had twenty miles completed by 10 AM. That's more like it. It was another 25 to our lunch for the day in Farmington, Missouri. We started off the morning with several miles of absolute flat but we're back in the rollercoasters again. It's not so bad this time around. They roll a lot more and pitch straight up a bit less. Farmington is a town of about fifteen thousand so there were several choices for lunch. We chose First Wok, a Chinese restaurant. One of the pieces of mail for us in Chester was a letter with a generous monetary gift from the Kent Family. Today was Jeremy's birthday so it seemed appropriate to accept their generosity in Farmington. Everyone says thanks to the Kents. The restaurant had free Wifi and the owner was very committed to keeping our glasses full.

People are a little bit less conscientious on the roads in Missouri. It seems like we're getting passed with less leeway than in previous states. We have not yet taken to throwing rotten cabbage. The terrain is attractive though – low forests and foothills farther in the distance and pasture and grazing land near the road. Throughout this part of the country everybody but everybody and everybody's Grandma is out mowing grass. If I've laid eyes on eight thousand people on this trip then four thousand were on some tractor or riding mower. And that's an accurate figure.

We passed through the St. Joe State park and were treated to some more greenery before the crater road. State Route 32, sucks. We slalomed around large potholes, and got jarred by poor patchwork, and those of us with fillings had to stop and comb the ground after they fell out. I'd go to France if I wanted Paris-Roubaix. And then the F word. I'd been afraid to use it because of jinx possibilities but it finally happened. We were nearly finished with that seven mile stretch of an excuse for a road when I got a blowout. It was a pretty nasty rusty nail that went in through the top of my tire and destroyed the sidewall as it came out. I suppose that's why you carry a folding tire. Have to get another though. But I got some assistance with the pack mule I call a bicycle, put on the new tire, put in the new tube, and started riding again.

We took another stop at a gas station and were just about ready to hit the road when I noticed my rear tire was flat again. This time it was a conventional puncture. It always comes in waves. Our break got extended a little bit as I threw another tube in. That was alright, though. It gave this mangy gas station dog more time to play with, or perhaps bother Adam. We named him Gassy. It was back on the road again and we smoked through the last ten miles or so on a downhill stretch to Kyle's Campground. Somehow or another we invented a variety of rude alternate names for the spot which are unfit to be published on this website. Our level of politeness is probably declining as we speak. By the time we're finished we may have lost the ability to speak English.

This particular campsite has a bar as well so we celebrated Jeremy's birthday with a drink or two and resolved to hit the miles early tomorrow.


Crossing the Mississippi.

The Show Me State.

Spirits are up.

It's all happening in Farmington.

Jerk.

8 comments:

  1. The Old Guy:

    Yup. That's a flat tire. A real flat tire. In fact, it's one for the ages. Kind of a, "How do you completely destroy a tire and tube without reallly trying?, situation. Words alone could not accurately portray the finality of the damage.

    I've been searching the net for 27" rims and I see what you mean, there just aren't any such animals. I could only find two listed: an Alex, 36 hole presta for $17.99 at BikeParts and a Sun CR-18 for $34.95 at Harris Cycles. Someone would still have to build the wheel and without a jig, it's a lot tougher and the results might be hard to predict. Let me know if I can help and tell Jeremy no more wheelies.

    You guys will solve the problem. I have faith. Sorry for the mechanical bad luck. Maybe you are getting it all out of the way now and you'll have noting but good luck from here on out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck, God's speed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi all,

    Mike, if you were going to puncture a tire, you didn't do it in half measures -- no need to get a bucket of water to find where the leak was.

    I know it's discouraging, but you will solve each of these problems as they arise -- and we can overnight express in an emergency.

    Take care. Ride safely.

    Love,

    Cheri (aka Mike's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I am at my computer a lot of the day, I find myself checking your blog at least 5 times a day. Can you please build a mount for your computer so you can make more regular updates? How am I supposed to deal with only 1 every couple days!?

    Anyway, enjoying the posts quite a bit, thanks Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Old Guy:

    Yea! What Ben said!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's quite a flat mike, impressive work. Missouri looks like fun but you should start smiling in your pictures. and I agree with ben, more updates!

    post your next address so we can send a present!

    be safe and have fun!
    katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. June 28 My name is Bob Noel and I met you guys at the intesection of Highways 43 and 126 at about 3:00PM. I was greatly impressed by what you all are doing. Awesome!! You seem like great guys. My e-mail is renoel@sbcglobal.net. Best of luck on the remainder of your trip and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to the above comment, Grandpa and I found you just out side Pittsburg. Good going guys, you marched right across Missouri in great time. Hopefully you are out of the humidity in Kansas.
    Jordan looks like you enjoyed that banana, but Gramps said you don't have to eat the peels.LOL
    Riding with all of you.....
    Grandma Geri....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, I love that puncture. How did you even manage to do that??

    ReplyDelete